“…It’s not a memoir, exactly — but it’s not not a memoir, either, and that deeply Blockian ambivalence to the clean, straight, obvious answer makes this a wonderful book for Block fans. He writes more thoroughly and in detail about both his early writing life — those sex books, those pseudonymous books, the quickie thrillers — and his personal life at the time than I’ve ever seen him do before. He doesn’t reveal everything, and he doesn’t tell it straight through — but Afterthoughts does become a memoir-in-parts, the way some novels are built up out of disparate short stories: each bit reveals one facet, and then the next reveals another facet, until, in the end, there’s a clear view of Block…”
- A dozen roses? A box of chocolates? Well, not exactly.
- It’s winter. Dress warm and read something…
- One painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Jonathan Santlofer. Plus a sketch. And a video…
- One Painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Joe Lansdale.
- One painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Jill Block. (Plus a video…)