You’d think from this list that I was a big fan of historical novels, but mostly I’m not. They have to be terrific. Thomas Flanagan wrote three, all set in Ireland, and they’re better than terrific; they’re Literature. The Year of the French is first, and the most accessible; The Tenants of Time and The End of the Hunt are a little more demanding, but worth the effort. One wishes he could have written more.
- A dozen roses? A box of chocolates? Well, not exactly.
- It’s winter. Dress warm and read something…
- One painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Jonathan Santlofer. Plus a sketch. And a video…
- One Painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Joe Lansdale.
- One painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Jill Block. (Plus a video…)