A brilliant writer who wrote too little and died too young. Much of his work is science fiction (Mockingbird, The Man Who Fell to Earth) but I’m fondest of his contemporary novels. The Queen’s Gambit is a personal favorite, and I’m about due to re-read it again. Ditto The Hustler and it’s under-appreciated sequel, The Color of Money. (The Paul Newman film version of the latter departed entirely from the book on page one; I can understand the filmmaker’s decision, but I don’t have to agree with it.)
- It’s winter. Dress warm and read something…
- One painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Jonathan Santlofer. Plus a sketch. And a video…
- One Painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Joe Lansdale.
- One painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Jill Block. (Plus a video…)
- One Painting from Edward Hopper. 1000 words from Jeffery Deaver.